Sunday, December 5, 2010

Wading through the Flood

Today was an early start for the weekend ritual morning run at Bukit Shahbandar. I knew the Bukit Shahbandar challenge was happening today but I wasn't expecting the crowd to be already quite thick at 6.10 am. So there I was, one of those little people, had to park my car quite a distance away along the highway.

The run was only starting at 7 am, I decided it wasn't worth a wait and started my own run rather been intimidated by a crowd of non-seasonal runners. As I did my second round I got myself in the mix of the those runners. So there I was, unofficially participating in the Bukit Shahbandar challenge.

Later in the morning, I brought the kids to see the flood in Ulu Tutong. I was telling the kids that I used to walk and wade the flood for miles and miles when I was a kid in order to reach my grandparent's house. But the kids weren't interested to know. The road trip through the flood is like a joy ride for them, watching brownish water all around whilst staying dry and cool inside a 4WD.

The flood in the Ulu area this time around has been quite persistent. Even though there were hardly any rains, but apparently because of the high tide and more intense rains in the interiors, the flooding hardly ever receded for days and weeks and is becoming an acceptance in life for those people affected.

The roads are at least still accessible as most have been sufficiently elevated quite a while ago. Nonetheless the police posted an observation post as part of the main road to Lamunin seems to be flooded more severely than others.


No comments:

Post a Comment